There are so many things to think about when designing your dream home. We have broken it down into four easy steps that will help you know you’re getting exactly what you need. Follow us to make sure you’ll get to read all of them.
STEP ONE: Evaluating your current lifestyle
It has been said that in order to get where you want to go you must first know where you are. When designing your dream home, it is critical to first evaluate how you currently live. Try to identify your current, natural patterns in daily living. This is important so that you don’t try to force-feed patterns that don’t jive with who you are and the dynamics of your everyday life. Some questions you may ask yourself are:
- What activities or hobbies do I/we have?
- Sports, reading, watching movies, gardening, music, cooking, recycling, foster parenting, woodworking, motor sports, sewing, and crafts
- Do I/we gravitate to more social settings or do I/we enjoy my/our alone time?
- Do you enjoy a social setting with block parties & neighbor kids playing in their yards & with your kids or do you enjoy a natural setting where you can enjoy quiet & serenity & a respite from the daily grind?
- What are things that are important to me/us (family, education, travel, hobbies, volunteering, etc)?
- How tied to the community am I/are we?
- How closely do you need to live to banks, schools, work, grocery stores and other shopping and businesses?
- What are my/our daily routines right now? How might they change?
- What is my/our timeline for living in this house?
Once you know some of the answers to these questions, you can then begin to evaluate how you envision your different stages of life, Step Two.