Searching for a tasty dessert to make for fall that'll also look just as good as it tastes? We've found just the one, especially if you enjoy a bit of pumpkin flavor. We were inspired by the recipes Life, Love, and Sugar, and Lindsey Baked This and had to create our own pumpkin pie cupcakes (cinnamon sugar swirl cupcakes with buttercream pumpkin frosting).
This was our first attempt at creating pumpkin pie-looking cupcakes with crust, whipped cream dollop, and cinnamon on top. They ended up pretty cute, but not as much as we thought they would due to the icing tip not being small enough to create the crust edges. When we make it again (which we definitely will as they turned out delicious), we'll use a smaller icing tip to decorate the edges more precisely. We can't wait to make them again during the fall season for friends and family as these satisfied our sweet tooth!
SCREENSHOT RECIPE BELOW TO SAVE
Ingredients and Supplies:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp salted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Milk
For Cinnamon Sugar Swirl
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks of salted butter
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- Pinch of pumpkin pie spice
- Orange and brown food gel coloring
- Wilton tip 103 (narrow end pointing up)
- Wilton tip 4b
- Icing bags
We'd suggest halving the frosting recipe, as we had plenty more to spare for 12 cupcakes unless you'll be making 24.
Follow these steps inspired by the recipes from Life, Love, and Sugar, and Lindsey Baked This.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Use a medium-sized bowl to mix flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat together butter, oil, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add eggs to the large mixer bowl and blend well.
- Put half the dry ingredients in the batter and blend.
- Add milk to batter and blend.
- Add rest of dry ingredients to batter and mix but do not overmix batter.
- Grab cupcake pan and place cupcake liners in each.
- Drop a tablespoon of the batter to each cupcake liner and layer about 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon sugar mix. Repeat one more time. 2 layers of batter, 2 layers of cinnamon sugar mix. Make sure the batter doesn't fill the whole cupcake liner so there's room for baking.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
- In a large mixer bowl, blend sticks of butter and half of the powdered sugar.
- Mix in pumpkin puree.
- Add the rest of the powdered sugar.
- Put a pinch in of the pumpkin pie spice and blend for about 5 minutes.
- Take 3/4 of the frosting to make the pumpkin orange frosting spread, more than half of the rest for the crust color, and the leftover for the whipped cream dollop.
- For orange, mix in a drop of orange food coloring at a time into the frosting until desired color and add 1 drop of brown.
- For crust, mix in a few drops of brown.
- Spread the orange over a cupcake, then take your Wilton 103 icing tip with bag of brown crust frosting and create a wave along the sides of the cupcake to imitate the look of pie crust.
- For a dollop of whip cream, use Wilton 4b to place in the center with the leftover frosting without food dye.
- Sprinkle on a bit of cinnamon.
- Enjoy! These taste so delicious!
Share with us on Instagram
@visionaryhomesutah Extremely delicious pumpkin pie cupcakes for fall. 🍂 Recipe on website - linked. Inspired by @lindseybakedthis. #halloweendecor #pumpkinseason #utah #builder #hellofall #easyrecipes #pumpkinpie #cupcakes #homes #pumpkin #easyrecipes #designblog #homebuilder #pumpkindessert #falldessert #dessert ♬ original sound - Dario Viegas
Share your own fall desserts with us or how you recreated this one on our Instagram @visionaryhomes by tagging us #MyVisionaryHome.